It is important to keep in mind that electrical insulation is essential in electrical facilities. Today we are going to talk about insulation monitors as an important element in electrical safety, especially in the hospital sector.
We are specialists in this area, so we put our experience, knowledge, reputation, services and products available to hospitals that want to provide safer services.
If you would like advice, diagnosis, or the implementation of strategies and equipment installations to ensure the proper functioning of the entire electrical system and thus provide more security to patients and medical staff, contact us.
What are insulation monitors?
First of all it must be understood that insulation monitors are devices which supervise the insulation resistance in IT systems.
They also monitor the leakage or differential current, both in grounded systems such as TB and TT. Therefore, it is the two alarms of the insulation monitors that allow to know the condition of the equipment before a ground failure takes place.
It is therefore an essential element to prevent shortages in the electrical system of a hospital.
Monitoring the insulation resistance of IT systems
Insulation monitor in IT systems ES 1000DOWNLOAD TECHNICAL FILE
An important element for electrical insulation
Without electrical isolation, the safety of a hospital’s electrical installations can be exposed to severe risks.
In fact, it is recommended that electrical insulation be monitored periodically to determine safety measures. At ETKHO we can help you, offering you a diagnosis and a plan of action to prevent failures.
Regarding electrical insulation, insulation monitors are essential, since they guarantee insulation resistance, which is the extent that determines the protection for people in the hospital and its facilities.
With insulation monitors, in order to create a correct insulation resistance, fire safety is also guaranteed.
What can happen without a proper insulation system?
However, it is important to be aware of the risks involved in a hospital when there is no proper electrical installation, using an insulation system.
Here are some of the risks:
- There is no guarantee of protection if direct or indirect contact occurs accidentally.
- On the other hand, service interruptions may occur, due to failure currents.
- In addition, short circuit currents and earth leakage currents can cause fires, also explosions, or destroy part of the electrical installation, resulting in material losses and even human injury.
- On the other hand, without electrical insulation, failures in the operation of electrical equipment in critical units can occur, which could endanger patients.
- Such failures can also lead to interruptions in production.
- They can lead to total facility shutdown.
- Failures can result in very high costs due to service interruptions, property damage or injury to people in the hospital.
That is why it is important to have a multi-repeater insulation monitor that can provide more protection, and give timely warning.
Supervision of IT systems and insulation monitors
As noted, given the risks listed in the previous segment, it is important that insulation measurements in the electrical system are addressed, and that systems designed for this purpose are monitored.
Similarly, the proper functioning of the insulation monitors must be verified. It is true that in new facilities, and in operational equipment, insulation resistance can be quite good in general terms.
But it is important to take into account the degradation of the insulation resistance and its components, which can be caused by mechanical, environmental or electrical causes.
This is why, after an evaluation, it is necessary to take protective measures, which will depend on your network systems.
With these protective measures, it is possible to set a warning of an insulation resistance drop, whenever it falls below a predetermined value, or to set a total and immediate disconnection of the affected line.
In critical environments or areas, such as ICUs, and others, electrical appliances and equipment are required to be tested periodically. The time intervals for the tests will depend on the type of device, and also on the conditions of use.
Benefits of Insulation Monitors
Now that you know the risks of not having insulation monitors and isolation resistance in a hospital facility, or the risks of these failing due to poor configuration or lack of monitoring, it is important to know what are the benefits of having a good insulation system.
Implementing insulation monitors provides the hospital with ideal conditions to avoid failure, and subsequently the benefits:
- It allows the hospital to have a system that is totally suitable for monitoring electrical insulation.
- There will also be monitoring and surveillance on the associated wires and frequency converters.
- A significant cost reduction is obtained, due to the reduction of emergency stops that can be caused by burnt-out motors due to insulation failures.
- Since there are no stops needed to check the state of the insulation, there is more production, the processes inside the hospital will be more guaranteed.
- The hospital’s maintenance department will no longer have to worry about electrical insulation, as the insulation monitor will be there.
By applying the insulation monitors to the electrical systems on which the operating rooms, ICUs, and other areas of the hospitals depend, permanent protection is provided to the staff, and the patients, preventing accidents.
At ETKHO we have all the equipment required for the electrical protection of your hospital.
You can count on us to provide you with our IT system insulation panel, which will provide you a well-protected insulated power supply system. It is ideal for surgical units and other critical areas.